Wednesday, January 16

Guatemalan Kites

The other afternoon I walked over to the cruise ship terminal in our port in Guatemala and it was filled with music, dancing, and local crafts and food. It was a great way for those passengers who wouldn't leave the ship area to see some of the Guatemalan culture. What I noticed first were a display of huge kites hanging from the ceiling.

Handing out brochures about the kites were women attired in traditional dress.

Apparently the kites are flown on All Saints Day and the Day of the Dead to act as conduits, bringing the peoples' ancestors back from their resting places for one day to spend with the living. The most intricate kites are from the region of Santiago Sacatepequez.

I had to take a photo of each one that was hanging in the terminal to show you how different the geometric designs can be. Wouldn't any of these be a great jumping off point for a geometric quilt?

I love finding things like this in my travels.

No comments: